Kinkaku-Ji Temple, also known as the Temple of the Golden Pavillion, is perhaps the most well-known temple in Japan due its truly brilliant appearance. The official name of this temple is Rokuon-Ji. For about a decade starting in 1220 this immediate region was the villa of Kitsune Saionji. Around 1397 AD, Yoshimitsu, the 3rd Shogun of Ashikaga developed Kinkaku into its current design. After Yoshimitsu's death, Kinkaku was made into a Zen temple according to his will. The Kinkaku building and the gardens remain exactly as they were then.
Kinkaku-Ji Temple consists of three types of architecture. The 1st floor is Shinden-zukuri, the palace style. The 2nd floor is Buke-zukuri, the style of samurai houses. The 3rd floor is Karayo, the style of Zen temples. Both the 2nd and 3rd floors are covered with gold-leaf on Japanese lacquer. On the roof sits a golden Chinese phoenix. The temple complex contains two large ponds and several islands, as well as several shrines, including Fudodo shrine wherein the stone sculpture of Fudo-myoo is enshrined as a guardian.